Search This Blog

Sunday, December 3, 2023

Time flies like an arrow...

...and fruit flies like a banana.  Quite a gap in postings in this tailing edge of 2023 but I've never minded a lack of the give and take that some folks find so enjoyable.  If there is nothing new I often go back in time, even to the beginning of this blog, and read how much has changed.  Go back to any date, pick a post, and start reading.  Maybe you'll trace a thread backward or forward in time but I gotta admit, it's very easy for me to get sucked into the narrative.  There's a lot of life in the blog, even if nothing new is posted but that could be a mental defect on my part.  I enjoy my delusional reality and I'm sticking to it.

-----

One topic asked, "What's in a name?"  I wonder that myself sometimes and I'm beginning to suspect that names can be very restrictive.  A name can be a good way to share understanding but it can also put the subject in a box; you see the name and think it is only that one thing.  Are those sounds you are listening to Folk Music?  Blues?  Opera?  Boojie-Woojie (ref. to Long John Baldry)?  Noise?  Does the name matter at all and does it affect your pleasure or annoyance at those wave forms hitting your eardrum?  Uncle Ken laments a lack of enthusiasm for his musical suggestions but without being a scourge I will say that his mopey favorites are not my cup of tea.  And the less said, the better.  But getting back to names, I can't think of anything that isn't more than it's name.  It's too easy to label something and never go beyond that label in your thinking; there is more to a Trump supporter than a red baseball cap.

-----

For the first time in years I went to a cinema and saw an actual movie, a new one, and not something I found on a dubious streaming site.  You guys may have heard of it: Barbie.  I was curious about some of the feedback the film was getting so I checked it out and was pleasantly surprised.  Quite good, I thought, and it really nailed some male stereotypes.  I can see why some of the Bro's were upset with it but they may lack my sophisticated sense or humor.  I took my niece to see it because the local movie house doesn't accept cash and I'm too much of a dinosaur to have a smart phone or use a credit card for such trivial expenditures.  There weren't a lot of guys in the audience (go figure!) but it was funny to hear the guys laughing out loud at times in an otherwise quiet theater.  But there were times when the women were laughing and I had no idea why.  The niece works at an internet marketing firm and said that the guys in her office (lot of 20-somethings) would never consider seeing Barbie; not confident enough in their masculinity, or something like that.

-----

And fruit flies really like bananas.  Since August I've been involved in a project studying spiders and their webs, learning more than I thought possible.  I keep thinking of the story I remember from grammar school about Robert the Bruce, sitting in a cave being inspired by a spider and then going to victory in one more battle.  Fascinating critters and I can spend a lot of time watching them create and negotiate their webs but they gotta eat and unless something flies into the web they will starve.  That would be hard for me to prove since they can go weeks, sometimes months, without eating.  But not to worry, fruit fly husbandry has become a newly developed skill here at the Geezer Chateau but it is tricky to keep them properly confined.  Fly paper is a definite requirement, glad they still make it.  So far, so good, and I think a few newly hatched spiderlings will make it to puberty.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment