Search This Blog

Thursday, October 9, 2014

is god fair?

You remember your high school biology? I remember that cutesy Miss (It was Miss wasn’t it?) Tichy called one-celled animals wee beasties. And I guess I remembered blastula, though I may have had that reinforced through college zoology. But speaking of one celled animals, I always assumed that they were alive, and I always assumed that they kept their own little lives when they became parts of our body, and that’s why I thought a sperm and an egg were also alive even though they have half the chromosomes.

Well this all comes up in the abortion argument where people aren’t really interested in the science unless it helps their side, and we have been away from politics for maybe a week now, and I don’t want to go there now.

It’s none of my business since I am not religious, but I always wondered if you died of senility and went to heaven would you be senile there? Do They just pick the you at the height of your abilities? And you run across these peoples who have had these terrible strokes and are just babbling or whatever and don’t even realize they can’t walk, and I think if I had a stroke like that would that still be me, how could it be?

There is that story by Kurt Vonnegut where the physically fit have to wear shoes with weights on them and the good looking have to wear masks, and the really smart have to, I don’t remember, drink a bottle of vodka a day. What if God (and you know I don’t really mean God) let us take a vote, should people all be born equally strong, smart, and good-looking? Would we all be just average? Maybe we would all be very strong, smart, and good-looking, but wouldn’t that be average then?

Maybe I would, seems like it would only be fair. If God, was pulling souls out of that egg carton and he put one in a sickly, ugly, stupid body, and another in a strong, good-looking, smart body, does that seem fair? What if He switches them? What if He shuffles them so that random chance determines which soul goes in which body? But wait a minute, He is God, how can there be any random?

I don’t think we ever examined that concept of fairness enough. If I had two sons and I sent one to college and made the other work in the fields, that guy would think it is unfair. Of course I don’t have two sons, but I do have two cats, and Buddy is bigger than Sweetie and when he chooses to shove his weight around and get the best perch or first spot at the food dish, she doesn’t make a fuss. Well he’s bigger, that’s just the way it is. What is it about humans that makes us concerned with fairness?

Of course it’s very politically incorrect for a liberal like me to say anything bad about Indians. Actually I’m not even supposed to call them Indians, but I saw in a movie made by Indians that they would rather be called Indians then Native Americans, which is such an awkward, artificial name. But I don’t know near as many as you do. Do your local Indians have a preference as to what they are called?

Anyway whenever the white man wants to take away one of their sacred lands to build a golf course or whatever, and they mount some campaign to save their sacred land, my first thought it is what good has that sacred land ever done you? If you had spent your time figuring out physics instead of dancing around some poles, maybe you would have had a better chance of fighting off the white man.


Déjà vu is when you do something and feel like you have done it before. I was thinking more of where something just pops into your head which has nothing to do with what you are doing and you can’t tell whether it’s true or not.  

No comments:

Post a Comment