Search This Blog

Monday, October 27, 2014

capitalize this america

I was reading along there where you were saying:
The Industrial Revolution broke that cycle by enabling more people to live on less land, but then you get pollution, crime, and social injustice.
Caps for industrial revolution? Before I pass from the subject, what is the deal with caps anyway? Sometimes it’s so hard to figure out, like Russian navy is capitalized, but what about russian dressing? Well maybe that is too because my spell check clearly disapproves. But still sometimes it’s a prickly thing to tell what is a proper noun and what isn’t. And then you get to that political thing where generally Blacks are in caps and whites aren’t. And the whole thing is, it’s not like they add anything to the understanding.
And it’s even worse when you were typing, because the shift key was way over at one end of the typewriter, and you really had to hold it down hard while you hit the other key, and once it was over you had to settle your hands and fingers back in their correct positions. It’s a wonder Hemingway ever get anything written.

It got a little better when personal computers came around because you didn’t have to hold down the caps key as hard, but now I have a laptop which was a big mistake because the keys are teeny tiny, and the shift is right next to the enter key so a lot of times I try to cap a letter and suddenly I am at the beginning of the next line.

And for what, for some stupid rule that got put into written language (wiki pause), well wiki is uncharacteristically vague, about three hundred years ago, and which has changed its rules several times in that span? Wiki does allude to the trend where there are fewer words capped as time goes on, and I can only say hurrah, no, what the hell, Hurrah!

Myself I am ahead of the times, I have been dropping caps for some time. Well I see that I still cap I, but it’s such a habit, and my fingers have it down so well that I never hit the enter key instead of the shift key doing it. And I do it at the beginning of the sentence, but that is not so bad, because when you are beginning a sentence, you naturally take a little pause. But still I don’t see where it adds anything to the meaning of the narrative. I don’t use it on our topic headers anymore. I hardly ever use it anymore for things like moslem or american anymore, and I think I am doing the right thing. I feel free.

Well that was all going to lead into I can see where the industrial revolution led to more crime and more pollution, but I am puzzled as to how it led to social injustice. Actually I am surprised that you used the term, usually that phrase is only thrown around by lefties.

But anyway, in the countryside it was mostly big estates where the lord was served by semi feudal peons. Isn’t that the height of injustice? Wasn’t it a little fairer in the factories where somebody could work hard and become a foreman and then some kind of executive? Not that it happened very often, but I don’t think the butler ever became the lord of the manor.

But it all sounds so boring compared to whether to cap or not to cap. Are we shall be subject to some rules made up by a handful of people three hundred years ago? Now there is Social Injustice!


I think you would have been better off if those bumpkins had picked your pocket. That way the other bumpkins would have gotten a buck to alleviate their Social Injustice and you could have spent the time you wasted on the bus ride and belting out Old Rugged Cross (Number 369 in your hymnal), in the local bar, perhaps making time with the local ladies.

No comments:

Post a Comment