Search This Blog

Friday, November 10, 2023

another sad song

There was a camp town man, used to plow and sing
And he loved that mule and the mule loved him
When the day got long as it does about now
I'd hear him singing to his muley-cow
Calling, "Come on my sweet old girl, and I'd bet the whole damn world

That we're gonna make it yet to the end of the row"

Singing "hard times ain't gonna rule my mind
Hard times ain't gonna rule my mind, Bessie
Hard times ain't gonna rule my mind no more"

Said it's a mean old world, heavy in need.
That big machine is just picking up speed
They were supping on tears, they were supping on wine
We all get to heaven in our own sweet time
So come all you Asheville boys and turn up your old-time noise

And kick 'til the dust comes up from the cracks in the floor

Singing, hard times ain't gonna rule my mind, brother
Hard times ain't gonna rule my mind
Hard times ain't gonna rule my mind no more

But the camp town man, he doesn't plow no more
I seen him walking down to the cigarette store
Guess he lost that knack and he forgot that song
Woke up one morning and the mule was gone
So come on, you ragtime kings, and come on, you dogs, and sing
And pick up the dusty old horn and give it a blow

Playing, hard times ain't gonna rule my mind, honey
Hard times ain't gonna rule my mind, sugar
Hard times ain't gonna rule my mind no more

She is no hillbilly or anything, but she has taken on one of the things I like about that down low old folk music which is the way she sings it in that deadpan manner like just the facts Ma'am, and of course that inner sadness.  There is no song like a sad song.  

So how do you like her?


So, the Ten Cat officially got sold.  Connie told me that she would be running the window art even after it was sold.  But he is filling the windows with stuff like a big balloon cat, so I texted Connie and she said that her and Dick no longer have anything at all to do with the place, so likely I will not be having my yearly show there anymore.  Breaks my heart and hurts my image as the Great Artist who puts on boffo shows at the Ten Cat.  Every morning as I am painting I am thinking of the next big show and pushing to get in my sixteen paintings for it.  Now I don't know what I am living for.  I'll ask him about it tonight but my hopes aren't high.

I understand that if you sell a bar you cannot tell the new owner how to run it, and the new owner has the right to do with it what he will.  I don't feel that I am being treated unjustly or anything like that.  But, I don't know, it is a sad thing.

As to what direction Bob, the new owner, is going, it looks to me like what I used to call the Bud Light gang, though I guess they drink something else.  Old Dog made some graphic adornments to the Ten Cat and now it looks like they will now be some other things that we have lost. Get a load of this.

https://www.tencattavern.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment