Search This Blog

Sunday, September 3, 2023

I Dodged a Scam

On August 20, I was involved in a little scrape in the Walmart parking lot.  I didn't even know about it until a cop came looking for me in the store.  He took my contact information for his records and let me go on my way.  The damage to my vehicle was minimal, and I never even met the other driver, nor have I heard from him since. When I got back to my truck, I found a card by my window that said: "Get your police report at CRASHDOCS.ORG after 5-7 business days." 

I went to the site later for my report.  I should have known there was something fishy about that site, but I didn't at first.  After filling out some forms, it said that I had to pay them a dollar to get my report.  I guess I should have stopped right there, but the charge seemed reasonable, so I gave them my card numbers.  When I clicked my last click, it said that they couldn't give me my report due to an error in their system.  I thought about trying to get my dollar back, but I was tired of this game, so I just quit the site and went to have a cigarette.  During my break, it occurred to me that they probably didn't care about the dollar, they just wanted to get my numbers.... Duh!

Our credit union, which issued my card, has 24-hour hot line, which I called post haste.  They told me that this was a common scam and offered to block my card immediately, to which I agreed.  First thing next morning, I called our local credit union, and they said I would get a new card in the mail.  All's well that ends well, I guess, but I should have been more careful in the first place, which I resolved to be in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment