Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

a discourse ending in an exciting chase scene

Is this just planned for the US?  I don't think there is a problem with American citizens having too many babies.  Well it's a problem for them when they can't afford them and they cut short their schooling, and the kid doesn't get much of an upbringing, and then they have kids and then on and on.  I want to pause here and say that I am talking about all poor people and so I am talking about white and black people here.  I just want to say that because sometimes I hear that applied to 'them' and them are black people, and it is generally used in some kind of argument for not giving them any money because see, that's what they do with it, so let's stop throwing money at that problem.

I've wandered off topic.  The point I was trying to make was that the problems of worldwide population growth, overcrowding, pollution, and global warming need a solution that is world wide.

You're awful ready to pile onto the national debt with your bond issue, but then the problems we are interested in are always the ones that are best solved by throwing money at them.  I think the payments would have to be awfully high, and I am not sure where the savings are coming from that would be applied to pay off the bonds, and then a lot of people who weren't planning on having children anyway would take in the extra bucks while those who wanted a lot of offspring would just keep having a lot of offspring.

I don't know why you are choosing the age 18 as too young to have a baby.  I'm guessing you are just using it because there has to be some age when people are too young and 18 is kind of a standard in our society, probably the remnants of some old feudal law in Europe, like 21 its alternative.  I think rubbers is what teenagers call them and condoms are what adults call them.

I didn't expect to find us so aligned on the death penalty, I agree with you on pretty much every point.

Your story reminds me of that quote, not exactly sure how it goes, something like nothing clears your head like knowing you are to be executed in the morning.  I know it doesn't go exactly like that because I have been all over google trying to find it but can't.  Anyway I remember the first time I heard it of thinking how incisive and the second time oh there it is again, and eventually it becomes annoying.  Like that Faulkner quote about the past not being dead, it isn't even past yet.  It seems like young writers hear this the first time and think, isn't that great, and can't wait to use it, and we old people just keep hearing it again and again.


How about this story?  It was the last day of school at DeDiego, in fact it was just after the bell rang, and I was walking out of my classroom and towards the free air Claremont Avenue, and some kid dashed ahead of me.  I said, "Hey  you," which is a phrase I think I used a hundred times in every subbing gig, because he was running or something and I planned on oh, wagging my finger in his face for fifteen seconds, just to uphold the principles of decorum and decency, but the little bugger just took off in the other direction. 

Well here was a much bigger crime, defying a properly ordained enforcer of good social form, a chase ensued through the clamoring halls of DeDiego and in short order the miscreant had escaped.

And a good thing, I realized looking down at the stairway he had scooted down, unseemly sweat beading my distinguished brow.  I had already dismissed my class, I was off the clock, had I caught the kid and brought him into the office, it would have cost me maybe fifteen minutes of a lovely early summer afternoon, the kid, it would certainly have put a damper on the beginning of his summer vacation, the people in the office would certainly not have been pleased to have to deal with one more thing before they could close the books and be off on that trip to the ocean or to the mountains.

So in this case was punishment not delivered a good thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment