Search This Blog

Friday, January 23, 2015

Houthis and the Blowhards

I think postmodernism is mainly confined to the academic world and in some of the arts. You can tell that it is postmodernism when it doesn’t make any sense, and if they use the phrase ‘challenging assumptions,’ and if they are constantly calling everybody a racist, sexist, or homophobe.

And you’re right, the peasants weren’t enlightened during the enlightenment, and, well I don’t know about to whom Locke was referring, but probably not women or blacks. He might not have been so hard on blacks since he wasn’t an American, but from what little I know about him, I think he was mainly talking about land, and I don’t think poor people had land.

People, particularly southerners, sometimes get a little picky about why the civil war was fought, but of course I was fought over slavery. And of course most northern whites didn’t think much of black people, but they didn’t like slavery, also they didn’t like competing with slavery economically. The emancipation proclamation was a wartime ploy, still the thirteenth amendment had to follow as long as the north won the war, which everybody knew they would by then. Maybe not, I had to look that one up on wiki, and it was pretty early in the war. One good thing about our conversations is it keeps us checking up on things we thought we knew.

I guess I’m done with the clash of cultures. I hadn’t thought it through when I began, and I thought I would come up with some kind of answer at the end, but I never did.

I question your professed isolationism. What war (or those things we do lately that we claim are not really wars, but they do involve troops and shooting) has the US ever gone too, that you would have kept the troops home from?


And speaking of this one, a couple recent developments. Israel just killed some high ranking Irani general in Syria who was with some Hezbollah guys. Well that sounds like good news, but then you have to consider that Hezbollah is fighting for Assad in Syria, and ISIS is fighting Syria.

Don’t hear that much about ISIS anymore. I think we’ve stopped them cold with our massive bombing, and the Kurds, you gotta love the Kurds. I’ve been going to the gym in my building the last couple months. There is a big screen tv always tuned to CNN which is always reporting on BREAKING NEWS, and yesterday it was talking about 6,000 ISIS guys killed. Of course we don’t really know, we don’t have any reporters there and all the guys doing the fighting are going to be lying to us.


Then those Shiite Yemen guys, the Houthis, took over the government, and I heard one NPR reporter talking to a guy on the ground and he was asking him who are these Houthis, do they like us. And the guy on the ground said, that the banners at their checkpoints read Death to America, Death to Israel, and the reporter allowed as how that didn’t look so good, but the guy on the ground said, well that’s what the banners of everybody around here say.

No comments:

Post a Comment