Search This Blog

Friday, June 6, 2014

Ain't English a Funny Language?

I think what you said about English is basically correct. If you look back as little as century or two, you will find that the rules of spelling and grammar haven't always been the same as they are now. If you look back much farther than that, it's almost like it's a different language altogether. Then there's all those dialects and accents, but I think the other languages have those too. When radio and television were still pretty new, the experts predicted that they would cause dialects and accents to disappear. That has happened to some extent, but radio and TV have spawned a few accents of their own. Remember that "valley girl" thing that was going around a few decades ago? That had to come from TV, I find it hard to believe that anybody ever talked like that in the real world, or even in California. The internet has spawned a dialect of its own too, but it's mostly used by the younger people. I mean, like, you and I are both veterans of the internet, and we don't talk like that. (LOL)

The reason I'm tossing all these pies into the sky is that, having accepted, for the purposes of discussion only, that global warming is real, I am trying to come up with a way to fix it without raising taxes or increasing the price of energy. It wouldn't hurt for you to participate in this effort but, since you have already advocated raising taxes and/or prices, I suppose it would be counter productive to your purposes.

Last night, right in the middle of my rambling on the subject, it occurred to me that natural green plants might be our salvation. They already do what I wanted my proposed carbon sucking machine to do, and they do it for free. I saw something on TV awhile back that said somebody had already thought of this and conducted an actual experiment about it. They raised a bunch of plants in a controlled environment with an increased level of carbon in the atmosphere. The plants did grow faster in this experiment, but not nearly fast enough to suck up all the excess carbon in the test environment. It occurred to me at the time that they didn't say anything about increasing the ambient temperature at the same time that they increased the carbon, which is what is allegedly happening in the real world. It dawned on me last night that, with the ice caps melting and the sea levels rising, the oceans will soon be encroaching on the land, which will give them more surface area which, along with the increasing temperature, should induce more evaporation. More evaporation has got to lead to more precipitation, what goes up must come down. Increased temperature, precipitation, and atmospheric carbon has got to produce more and bigger plants, which will suck up more carbon, which will reduce the greenhouse effect, which will bring everything around full circle, sooner or later. Additionally, since much of our population and heavy industry is located near the sea coasts, rising sea levels will wipe out a lot of both, which will reduce carbon emissions even further. You and I are pretty safe because Lake Michigan is about 600 feet above sea level, and I don't think anyone is predicting the ocean levels will rise that much. Okay, it's only a theory, but so is most of what passes for science nowadays.

President Theodore Roosevelt was called a progressive, you know, and he was a Republican. Many of the programs he implemented would be called liberal today, which might be why he couldn't get nominated for a second term and had to start his own party. I liked him in spite of all that because he was an avid sportsman. Too bad we don't have somebody like that around today. All we would need to do is get him to turn gay and smoke pot and he might be the great unifying force that this country needs.

Looking up the GM stock deal will be this weekend's project. Then, if I have enough time, I'll try to find out if anybody else has come up with my "plants are going to save the world" theory. I find it hard to believe that I am the only one smart enough to think that up, but I have been surprised before.

Have a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment