Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Bang for the Buck

We have the best armed forces in the world.  And we better have since we make up 40 percent of all the military spending in the world and it takes up 1/5 of our budget, and what do we get for it?  No really what?  I think most everybody will agree that we came out of Iraq and Vietnam with a worse situation than when we went in. We would have been a lot better off if we had had a lousy army and hadn't gone in.

So that's basically how I feel about the armed forces, we spend a whole lot of money on them and in general we get into more trouble with them then we ever get any good out of them.

.Take a hornet's nest like Syria, everybody else who doesn't have a piece of the action is staying far away, and yet many of our politicians are urging us to dip our toes in there.  If we were Canada, which I assume has a modest army, nobody would be urging us to get in.

All this moaning and groaning about the national debt, and how it is going to ruin us as a nation, and all we have to do is cut the military in half, and I haven't done the math, but I'm pretty sure that would be close to taking care of the debt, and I don't see anybody rushing in to conquer us.

Maybe that's a little simplistic, but my main point is we get very little of value for the nation from our huge army, and it is very expensive.

I think I agree with you on keeping our armies close to the vest, but then with a smaller mission, and because the cost of an army at rest is much less than an army at war, I think we could bring our spending down to the levels of comparable countries, and spend that money on feeding and educating our children which I believe will make us a stronger country than any amount of military hardware or poor saps doing multiple tours.

No comments:

Post a Comment