Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 22, 2024

the garden report

 Sorry to hear about your no longer hypothetical wife or to be more accurate her knee.  Not to be too nosy (I say as a preamble to asking a nosy question) but does this mean a knee replacement?

Replacements, hips, knees, all the rage among our set these days, almost as commonplace as changing a tire, best wishes for Beagles and his now not hypothetical wife.


Sundaes?  Why was I talking about sundaes?  Used to be, back in the good old days when The Institute was popping like Orville Redenbacher's finest, sometimes three posts in a single day, it wasn't hard to keep up a train of thought, but at the current glacial pace it is almost a month since I wrote about sundaes, and I just don't know why.  I wrote at the time that the name change was likely due to lawyers, but revisiting the topic I find it much more complicated than I had thought.  In fact there are five origin stories, all different in the following wiki article.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sundae#:~:text=Plainfield%2C%20Illinois,-Plainfield%2C%20Illinois%2C%20has&text=Sonntag%20created%20the%20dish%20%22after,and%20later%20was%20spelled%20sundae. 


Garden Report

Last fall I began visiting the Lurie Gardens on a semi regular basis and what caught my eye was all those bees.  Busy busy busy bees buzzing softly in the bee loud glade as they danced among the flowers like those bewigged and perfumed dandies among their women in those silken battleships of dresses in the halls of Versailles before The Terror came and lopped off all their heads.

Anyway I like the busy buzzy ladies.  A couple years ago I had a good sunflower crop and got bees from as far away as, well I don't know.  Last year the sunflowers came in late and didn't grow proper heads and the bees barely showed up.  So this year I wanted to plant known bee favorites, cone flowers and black eyed susans, but it turns out that they are perennials and likely won't even flower this year.  I planted them anyway since I bought the seeds and I want to see what comes out.  

And I am planting more sunflowers.  You just sprinkle the seeds, cover them up a little, give them some water and they are reaching up for the sun.  I got three or four of them from each pot, and I carefully transplanted a couple of them into other pots, five tomato varieties and one one white eggplant for adventure.  The farmers market will open Thursdays and I will be looking for exotics. 

No comments:

Post a Comment