Search This Blog

Thursday, January 18, 2024

The Road to Recovery

 Remember when we had a bout with the flu as kids?  It was no big deal, a couple days of puking and shitting, then it was back to school like nothing happened.  Truth be known, that wasn't the same kind of flu that killed millions of people back in 1918, but that's what everybody called it.  I guess what I had this time was something in between, no puking and shitting, just loss of appetite, not only for food, but for everything else as well, including beer and cigarettes.  

Now I seem to be on the road to recovery.  Today I cleared the snow off of my truck, moved it, and plowed the part that the professional guy was unable to get to the two times he was here.  Clearing the snow off the truck would have been harder if my granddaughter hadn't done it a couple days ago when she came all the way from Petoskey to buy our groceries for us when I was still incapacitated.  We only got a few additional inches since then, and it was that light fluffy stuff that used to be normal for this time of year.  I haven't re-started the beer and cigarettes yet.  I don't miss the beer, but I do crave a cigarette now and then.  I find, however, that the craving goes away in a few minutes if I just ignore it.  I may never smoke again, but I'm not committing to that.  The last time I quit was for three and a half months when I had that bleeding ulcer back in 2008, and the only way I got through it was by telling myself that it was just temporary.  


No comments:

Post a Comment