Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Where do you stand?

I remember a guy in Berkeley who didn't vote.  He was a Vietnam veteran and I think he was going to school on the GI bill.  Nice guy, and he had some spending money too and that always made a guy welcome.  He didn't vote, and the reason he gave was that, those politicians what they did was irrelevant to his life and he didn't want to get involved with them.  Dude, I thought, but didn't say, who do you think sent you to Vietnam?

When I was campaigning (shooting my mouth of in some bar) for McGovern, a lot of the hippies wouldn't vote either.  It was like if they did they would be playing The Man's game, and as hippies it was their credo to always stick it to The Man.  I guess The Man was similar to Them, but He was a lot more identifiable from LBJ or Nixon right down to the cop on his beat, who we were convinced had nothing better to do than to bust us and take away our dope. 

I've recounted many times how in 1968, which was the first year I was eligible to vote, I didn't because I wanted to vote for Dick Gregory and the Peace and Freedom Party, but I was afraid that once I got into the polling place better sense might move me to vote for The Hump, so I solved that problem by never registering in the first place. 

In 1970 Adlai Stevenson III was running against some joker, Ralph Tyler Smith, but still I probably wouldn't have voted except that Ralph Tyler Smith ran this ad:


The implication being that Adlai was nothing but a good for nothing hippie.  I was rather offended by this because the slant was that being a hippie was a bad thing, and that got my dander up and I registered and voted, and have been voting ever since.

So how about those Houthis huh?  I wonder if they waited for Bolton to get canned to hit those Saudi oilfields, or was it refineries, I don't want to get smitten by The Scourge.  Well that sounds odd, my Websters claims that smitten is the past tense of smite, but it means something quite different.  This should be looked into, but not by me this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment