I well remember something that I did at the age of seven. We were driving home to Chicago after visiting my grandmother in Stevensville, Michigan. As we came around a bend in the road, the smokestacks of the steel mills of Gary, Indiana hove into view. My father commented that it was kind of depressing to be driving into that after spending a few days in clean and green Michigan. I commented that we wouldn't have to do that if we lived in Michigan all the time. My dad responded with "Get that idea out of your head right now. Chicago is where we live, Michigan is where we go on vacation. That's the way it is and will always be. Nobody lives in Michigan." I said, "Grandma lives in Michigan." To which my dad angrily replied, "Grandmas don't count. Since you will never be a grandma, you will never live in Michigan." At this point, my mother intervened because she thought that the discussion was getting too heated. I said, "Fine, I won't mention it again but, mark my words, When I am 21 years old, I will be living in Michigan".
No comments:
Post a Comment